Designing An Infographic
Some great tips for designing infographics:
- Keep it simple! Don’t try to do too much in one picture.
- Decide on a colour scheme.
- Research some great facts and statistics.
- Think of it as a visual essay: ensure your arguments hold and are relevant.
- Remember that it’s all about quickly conveying the meaning behind complex data.
- Draw conclusions.
- Reference your facts in the infographic.
- Include your URL so people can be sure who made it.
Ideas for infographic formats include:
- Flow charts;
- Annotated maps;
- Venn diagrams;
- Size comparisons;
- Showing familiar objects or similar size or value.
Creating Your Infographic
- Plan and research.
- If required, use free software to create simple graphs and visualisations of data.
- Use vector graphic software to bring these visualisations into the one graphic.
Ultimately, if you have a little design skill, the very best approach is to create all the simple graphs and illustrations yourself using vector graphic software. Your end result will be more visually attractive and you will have more freedom to be creative with it.